Working with figures
First, lets insert a figure in a document. Place cursor at where the figure is going to be inserted. Click on "Insert" -> "Reference" -> "Catpion".

A dialog box should pop up. Enter the name of the figure, click OK.



In the dialog box, select "Figure" as "Reference type", then select "Only label and number", pick "Figure 1 ...", click "Insert".

Now, we have Figure inserted in the text.

So, we have Figure 1 and 2 in the text. What happens if I want to insert another figure at the very beginning of the document. I inserted another figure named, "This is the third figure." at the begining. It is automatically inserted as figure 1. Notice that, the original figure 1 is now figure 2. But the number in the text is not change

Instead of searching and replacing all the figure numbers in the text, click "Edit" -> "Select All" (or, Ctrl + A), which select the entire document, then, press "F9". This updates all the figure number automatically.

I assume you will say, this looks good, if you never used this before. Then, what if I want to move figures around?
I then switched the positions of Figure 2 and 3.

And then, press Ctrl+A, then F9. This automatically updates my figures.